Vestal Central Schools Mission Statement
The Vestal Central School District believes each student is unique and can learn. The District's mission is to provide instruction, programs, strategies and challenges in a caring, positive learning environment. Each student will become a critical thinker, a lifelong learner and a responsible, contributing citizen in a changing global society. The Board of Education, staff, parents, students and community share a commitment to this mission.
Location and Community
The Vestal Central School District, located in Broome
County, New York, covers approximately 57 square miles extending west
from the Binghamton city limits to a portion of Apalachin in Tioga County.
Vestal is bordered on the north by the Susquehanna River and on the south
by the Pennsylvania state line. Vestal is suburban in nature. Most residents
are employed in the Triple Cities of Binghamton, Johnson City and Endicott.
Binghamton University is located in Vestal.
Standards of Excellence
Each student will...
- Demonstrate computation and communication skills by solving problems logically and creatively
- Gain knowledge through the study of language arts, social science, math, science, foreign language and technology, and apply methods of inquiry in an interdisciplinary fashion
- Demonstrate an awareness of social, cultural and civic responsibilities for participating in a democratic society
- Gain knowledge, acquire skills and develop attitudes necessary for emotional, mental and physical well-being to promote esteem in one's self and others.
Shared Decision Making:
Excellence and Accountability
During the 1989-90 and 1990-91 school years, the district served the New York State Education Department as a pilot district in an Excellence and Accountability Program. The basic activity of this program was to develop a planning model for the district to assess educational needs/priorities and to address such needs/priorities as the building level. This would be achieved through a shared decision making model. This has been addressed by the formation of the District Planning Group (DPG), Building Planning Teams (BPT) and a concerted, district-wide effort emphasizing and incorporating shared decision making. The District will continue its pursuit of excellence and accountability. A planning model is in place, with shared decision making as the key element. Stakeholders, including parents, staff at all levels and students continue to have input as five-year educational plans are implemented and updated in each of the district's building. The goal of every building planning team is to address and improve student achievement.
Students graduating from the Vestal district will display the following characteristics:
- Life Managers
- Lifelong Learners
- Problem Solvers
- Contributing Citizens
- Critical creative thinkers
- Information Gatherers
- Collaborators, cooperators, interactors